Heike M. Vogel is a business attorney with extensive expertise in corporate restructuring, bankruptcy law, and general business transactions. She has represented debtors, creditors, investors, indenture trustees, creditors’ committees and acquirers of assets. In connection with her involvement in large, complex restructuring cases, she also gained experience with intellectual property, labor and employment, corporate transactions, and commercial litigation. For more than 10 years, she practiced first at Sidley Austin and then at Arent Fox. Previously, she clerked for three U.S. Bankruptcy Court judges in the Southern District of New York: Honorable J.H. Gallet; Honorable A.J. Gonzalez, and Honorable R.L. Bohanon.
Ms. Vogel, among other matters:
- Handled every aspect of causes and actions filed against corporate clients in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Provided counsel on strategies to achieve the most beneficial results in multi-million dollar preference and other actions.
- Represented corporations that have been affected by other businesses’ Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 filings.
- Developed contracts to proactively protect clients against other businesses’ bankruptcy filings in the future.
- Made recommendations about negotiating v. litigating and represented clients in other transactional matters and in commercial litigations.
- Served as lead attorney in a pro bono political asylum case. Learned political asylum/immigration law, collected evidence, and drafted a 30-page brief that resulted in asylum being granted.
Ms. Vogel volunteers her time at NYS Access to Justice Volunteer Attorney Program in New York City Family Court. She is a Vice Chair of the National Meningitis Association, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and raising awareness of meningococcal disease. Ms. Vogel is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association, and the American Council on Germany.
- “Understanding the
Chapter 15 Recognition Process,” ABA International Dispute Resolution, Winter 2016.
- “Delaware Bankruptcy Appeals: Checklist,” Thomson Reuters – Practical Law, 2016.
- “SDNY Bankruptcy Appeals: Checklist,” Thomson Reuters – Practical Law, 2015.
- “Bankruptcy Holds Pitfalls for the Unwary,” Legal Issues in Ophthalmology: A Review for Surgeons and Admissions, 2008.
- “Claims Trading in the Wake of the District Court’s Decision in Enron; Should You Feel Safe Selling Your Claims?” The Credit & Financial Management Review, Vol. 13, No. 4, Fourth Quarter 2007.
- “Section 1102 Adds Uncertainty to Creditors and Equity Committees,” Bankruptcy Court Decisions, Weekly News & Comment, Sept. 13, 2005.
- “BAPCPA: Provisions Impact Committees from Multiple Angles,” Bankruptcy Court Decisions, Weekly News & Comment, Sept. 27, 2005.
- “The BAPCPA: Provisions Affecting Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors and Their Membership,” Bankruptcy Reform 2005: Expert Analyses Examining & Predicting the Impact on the Commercial Practitioner, LRP Publications, 2005.